Introduction: With the benefits that are offered by the portable and handheld ultrasound scanners, many doctors and hospitals are buying this. It is helping the healthcare professionals to diagnose the patients immediately by getting the reports of ultrasound quickly.
Today, many professionals are embracing these portable devices as these are having the ability to produce high quality images. These have become a part of the sonographer scanning process. This is also helping them to give the right treatment to the patients and get their diseases cured in a short period of time.
Pros Of Using Handheld Ultrasound Scanner
- Easy to use on the bedside and rural areas
- Little or no training is required to use the device
- Light in weight
- Takes very less time to set up the whole machine
- Easy to access
- Produce good quality images
- Boost accuracy by conducting the physical examination of patient’s bedside and reducing their anxiety levels
- Produce the images in various formats including JPEG, DICOM, etc.
Cons Of Using A Handheld Ultrasound Scanner
- Not possible to get Medicare reimbursement
- Have very few features compared to the traditional ultrasound scanners
- Can be operated only for a limited period of time
- Higher rate of false positives and negatives to diagnose a patient
Pros Of Using A Portable Ultrasound Scanner
- Highly beneficial to diagnose the patients instantly
- Doctors no more need to take patients to a separate to run the ultrasound tests
- Can easily provide answers to the patient queries
- Easy to produce images, review them, check the abnormalities and carry out an extensive assessment of the medical condition of patients
- Keep incorrect readings and misdiagnosis at bay
- Reduce the diagnoses expenses
- Produce real time images and show the reports to the patients and involve them to get the best treatment
Cons Of Using A Portable Ultrasound Scanner
- Takes time to learn about the usability of the machine
- Spend a little high amount to buy this piece of equipment
- Only limited features are available unlike in the traditional machines
Conclusion: Though, there are equally pros and cons for both the handheld and portable ultrasound scanners, but the pros will overshadow the cons and help sonographers to perform scans in a matter of a few minutes of the patients.